After one load of laundry and one kids’ shower, there was no more hot water for Dave and I to shower. Needless to say, we kept them short and sweet. We will also stagger showers and laundry from here on out! We had a feeling it may be a little funky when the manager told us we had to flip a little switch in the bathroom each morning in order to have hot water.
Our plan for the day was to go down to Marienplatz to look around a bit, and then over to the Olympic Park. We took the U-bahn downtown. The kids were in awe of how clean, new and not stinky the train and the station were. Dave and I are pretty happy with it, too. The German train system is amazingly clean and efficient.
We looked around Marienplatz area for awhile. We went to Peterskirche, the oldest and smallest parish church dating back to the 11th century. We got to see the creepy bones of a martyr that died for the church. It was basically a skeleton wrapped in a lace embroidered costume of sorts. Just a little too creepy for me. I preferred the box of bones on the other side of the chapel. We opted to go up the stairs later after our Paris experience going up skinny stairs on really hot days.
We found a recommended restaurant near the church, Nürnberger Bratwurst Glöckl am Dom, and decided to eat there. It was FULL ON German fare. WOW! They really give you a lot of food for not so much money! I loved how there were pretzels instead of bread in the bread basket. No one went away hungry from this meal! Most of the family went with the traditional sausages with kraut. I got the pork dish, and it was a lot of food with a funky bread ball and some kind of crispy something that I didn’t eat.
We then went over to Frauenkirche (church of our lady). This church has two beautiful towers. It also houses “the devil’s footprint”. This is because the builder of the church made a deal with the devil and told him that he would not put any windows in the church. There is a place in the entry way where you cannot see any of the windows. When the devil realized he had been tricked, he stamped so hard, he left a footprint.
Mali started to feel really rotten, Hayley wasn’t feeling well either. So, in need of a nap myself, I offered to take the girls home while Dave and Dillon went to check out the Olympic park. I got a nap to take the edge off, and the girls both rested.
The boys had fun at the Olympic Park. Mostly they walked around and checked out what was available. There was a tour going on where you could go on the roof of the main stadium and then repel down from the highest point, so they watched that for a while. There’s another option to do a zip line which sounds more fun to Dave. They also checked out BMW Weld which is a funky building and lots of interesting little displays. So, we are excited to go back and do some activities as a family.
We decided to try the Mexican restaurant down the street from our house. We have not had Mexican since we have been in Europe, so we were excited! Everyone found something that they liked and we had a fun time out as a family. Food here seems to be a bit cheaper than in France. But, the big bummer is that no one will give us tap water. We have to purchase water everywhere we eat. It saved us so much money in France to not have to purchase drinks with every meal, especially with 5 people. Overall, the meals are still significantly cheaper than Paris, but it’s tough to spend 11 euro on water for one meal. We will just need to be prepared with water bottles in our pack when we go out to eat.
After dinner, since it was a nice evening, we decided to go exploring in our neighborhood. I had seen a park on one of our maps that looked like it was really close to our apartment. So, we went in search of that. Well, turns out, we went the wrong direction. But, we had a really nice family walk down a long shopping street. At the end, we found an ice cream shop and all got a scoop. As we were about to leave, we discovered that they had spaghetti eis, something that the Ottesons had told us about. We were bummed we missed it, but look forward to trying it soon!
Downtown
Lederhosen
“Extra Gross”cherries. The raspberries we bought were delicious, though!
Creepy Martyr bones in Peterskirche
Inside Peterskirche
My potato ball and bread ball
Dillon thinking of DC shoes while eating his pretzel
Outside of Frauenkirche
The Devil’s footprint
Inside Frauenkirche
The Olympic Park
The Olympic Stadium
Zip line in the Stadium
Commemoration plaque of the Olympic gold medalists
Wendy’s Munich souvenirs
Dillon’s Munich souvenir
DEUTSCHLAND!!! (Sorry, had to say that.)
ReplyDelete* The "funky balls" are Knödel and are YUMMY! I hope you tried them. :)
* Extra Gross = extra big. :) You probably know that though.
* Germans have an aversion to tap water. It implies you're poor if you drink, I heard. I think it was a result of the war.
* The churches with all the bones are strange, aren't they! There was one in Austria (Innsbruck) where there was a whole wall of skulls with crowns and jewels on them.
We miss you guys! I hope Mali gets better soon.
Now you are in territory I have never been to. Do you remember that Brad's wife, Susan, served her mission in Germany?
ReplyDeleteI loved the Peterskirche.......I kept saying "wow" as I look at each pix. Also, beautiful pix of the Olympic Park.
PS ~ I don't care for the "bones." I agree, please keep them in a box if you must have them.