The flight to Paris was quick and our layover even quicker. I was really wanting to linger in Paris, I love it so! It was so much fun to hear French again, even for a short time. On the plane ride home, our seats were not together. So, Dave, Mali and I sat together while Dillon and Hayley sat about 5 rows back. It felt like the beginning of the end to me, being apart already, and it made me sad! Our flight was long, but uneventful and everyone kept themselves entertained. I believe Hayley played solitaire for 3 hours straight. In that time she won 21 times. I don’t know if I should be proud of her determination or concerned about her OCD tendencies. To all of the kids credit, they were amazingly good kids during the insanely long trip.
It was SO strange to land in America! After all of the other airports we had been to the past 2 months, it was hard to believe we were actually at our own. We made it through customs and all of our bags arrived as well (a constant worry of mine.)
<When we saw the last suitcase, I felt like I could finally say it out loud – This was an incredible trip and we were SO blessed! We were protected from harm for 9 straight weeks. We were safe and healthy – only a couple of colds, allergies, and a headache or two. Dave and I talked about how great we got along the whole trip and got excited about our future retirement days. I just felt so much love for my family and so grateful that we were watched over the whole time we were away.>
Lisa Sharp was waiting for us at baggage claim, and I was reminded of one of the reasons I came home – my wonderful friends!!! It was so great to see her again. She and Royleane had stocked our fridge with food for the next few days and made us dinner for the night! INCREDIBLE!
It was a GORGEOUS Seattle day - the perfect weather to come home to. As soon as we hit the car, the plans began. Hayley had Lisa bring her cellphone so she was making plans on the car ride home. Dillon arranged a ride to football practice (even after 20 hours of no sleep) and soon Mali was asking Meghan Petty when we could come pick up our dog.
We drove through McDonald’s so that the kids could get some root beer (one of the only things we couldn’t find over there). It was such a beautiful day, that Lisa and I decided to walk home from McDonalds so that we could do a bit of catching up before I got back to reality. I loved walking, talking, and just smelling the clean air here.
When I arrived home, I cannot explain how much more I appreciated my house. I have always loved it, but I really appreciated it today, every inch of it! I love my new carpet, my washer and dryer, my kitchen, my yard, but especially my BED! :)
Dave showered and headed out to work, Dill to football practice and Hayley to be with her friends. So, Mali and I went over to the Pettys’ to pick up Koda. I did not realize I would miss our dog, but by the end of the trip, I actually did. It was great to see him and was so excited to see us. I really think he thought we had left him for good! It was great that he recognized us. We talked for a long time with the Pettys' and let the dogs play. It was fun to see our friends again.
By the time Mali and I got home, Dave and Dillon were back and dinner had been delivered. It was the best not to have to worry about dinner tonight! We are so fortunate to have all of the wonderful friends that made this whole trip and “re-entry” go so well.
I just cannot get over how blessed we were this summer. I am so grateful to be home safe once again. I already miss Europe, but need to just be thankful that we had the opportunity. It was a wonderful adventure and something our whole family will always treasure!
Dillon and Hayley doing their “Lean Like a Cholo” dance on the plane. Needless to say, they were a little excited to go home and therefore quite hyper on the plane for a bit. You can see how much the person sitting next to them enjoyed it. I sure love my cute kids!
did this really only post yesterday or is my google reader super slow? :)
ReplyDeletejust wanted to say how much fun it was to read about your journey. i never commented, but read every post. what a fabulous thing to be able to do with your family.
Wendy, it was so fun to see a comment on our blog today. I went into my email to send a little hello to you and realized I don't have your email address? How did that happen?
ReplyDeleteThank you for saying hello. We were SOOO bummed to have missed you on our trip to Washington this past summer, but we were thrilled to hear your dream of a summer in Europe with your family was taking place! I have had fun hearing about your adventures through you blog (Ashley pointed me to it). We miss Europe terribly and long to go back...to LIVE, but we'll see if that ever really
happens.
Hello to your family!
Darcie
That was fun!!! :)
ReplyDelete